Tuesday, October 31, 2006

The Anti-Prufrock

I've got some more thoughts about the good news and joy that comes from yesterday's not-so-happy thoughts, but I'll save them for tomorrow when I have a little more time to flesh them out. For now, I recently ran across this passage that reminded me of Prufrock. This fellow articulates similar questions about purpose and security, but, unlike Prufrock, he has a response to the individual's struggle for identity and meaning. I like what he has to say.

"That's what I want for my life: To be caught up in the sweep of history. To be in the center of things. To be making a difference. To be at the heart of the struggle between right and wrong, good and evil. Where can that happen in the real world? How can I be a part of something that is bigger than I am? Where in life can something so grand be found?

Then it came to me - as startling sudden as a rip of lightning and as poundingly affirmed as any thunder that could follow - that's what God's invitation to the Christ-life is all about! There is a galatic struggle going on, and I could be a warrior. I could give my life to something that was bigger than I was, that would live on long after I was gone. What I did mattered and could impact all of history - even into eternity." -James Emery White, From Serious Times

No comments: