Friday, October 27, 2006

Brain Hash

My friend Alex Kirk used to do a Grabbag Friday on his blog which involved random thoughts heading into the weekend. I really like this idea because it prevents too much thinking on a Friday - especially the rainy Friday afternoon of a 3-day weekend. Plus, regardless of what Alex may leave as a comment, it is I who desire to be like him. Not the other way around.

-I had to close the store for the first time on a Thursday last night. Grey's A was a rerun. There's something divine at work in that, I think.

-Speaking of work, I noticed a genre of DVD yesterday called "Horror Comedy." Perhaps my reaction to Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers was exactly what the creators were shooting for.

-Yao Ming, the Houston Rockets starting center and, more importantly, the second round pick of my fantasy NBA team "Ridin Dirty," sprained his ankle yesterday. Yao, get your ankle (along with your field goal percentage, points, offensive rebounds, defensive rebounds, total rebounds, points, and blocks) well soon!

-Just finished reading Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut. Really interesting read. His writing is very informal and scattered which is hard for me. I'm kind of old-fashioned and prefer writing that is straightforward and continuous. Give me the literary 1600's over the 1960's anyday. Still, it was nice to be stretched. He had some really interesting ideas on our falsely exalted view of humanity as anything more than machines. He also argued for a ho-hum attitude towards death, given that it happens all the time and happens to everyone eventually. The only hard thing was, given his darkly comedic and semi-absurd tone, I can't really tell if he was defending these two ideas or mocking them.

-Two songs I just can't get enough of right now: Fergie's "London Bridge" and Dierks Bentley's "Every Mile a Memory."

-Two great ways to enjoy a rainy day: 1) take a nap while listening to the rain beat against the gutters and 2) go running. Mission #1 has been accomplished. Off to #2!

2 comments:

Christa said...

i also was not able to watch Grey's this week and was overjoyed that it was a rerun. I concurr, something divine was indeed at work!!! enjoy your long weekend!

Laura! said...

ben, once upon a time (my sophomore year in high school) k. vonnegut's grandson was my student teacher for a semester in english. he was a horrible teacher...but we got to hear cool stories about grandpa kurt. if you like SH5, you should read Cat's Cradle...it too is fascinating. And...London Bridge? What the heck? Do you do the cannonball dance to that one? If so, I'd like to see it.

Miss you :)