Friday, October 06, 2006

Everybody's Workin for the Weekend. . .

. . . except for me and my pals in retail.

When I begin my job search a couple weeks ago, my top priority was to find standard hours, working M-F 9-5 or something to that affect. I wanted consistency, 2-day roadtrips, and most of all, the ability to watch football.

One of the inconvenient fortunes of most retail businesses is that a high percentage of sales occur on the weekend, necessitating the need for labor hours. As such, the concept of "weekend" does not really exist for retail employees. Borders does a great job trying to give us weekends off, as our scheduler works hard to give us one a month. However, this still leaves many Saturday and Sunday afternoons on the clock.

Though sometimes bothersome, this situation has offered me a fuller life these last three weeks. No longer can Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesay simply be "W-Day minus 5," "W-Day minus-4," and "W-Day minus 3." The goal of my days cannot be to simply survive in order to get closer to the light of the weekend, as no five day tunnel even exists.

This forces me to live every day. I must find purposeful activity in everyday whether it be errands, fun, calling friends, rest, dinner out, exercise, movies, reading, or football - all activities usually reserved for my free time on the weekend. Otherwise life becomes nothing but a futile drift upon the waves, floating towards dry weekend land that doesn't exist. My schedule has destroyed my old subconscious thinking that Monday - Friday were inferior days, merely to be tolerated until I could really live come Saturday and Sunday. What a way to throw 71.4285714285% of my life away.

So here's to The Day, each of them. It is the one the Lord has made.

Besides, there's football on Monday, Thursday, and Friday too.

5 comments:

Oakley said...

First, I'd like to give you props for actually entering five divided by seven into a calculator and then putting the results on your blog. Second, I hope you take pride in the weekdays that you have off while the rest of us are slaving away at a desk because it's a blessing in disguise. Thirdly, If I come home this weekend and don't hear from or hang out with any of you (my friends) then there will be consequences and repercussions ;-)

Jenn Pappa said...

Take it from the person who is watching the clock and counting the minutes until Friday Freedom... you are lucky. Enjoy it. And maybe I'll learn how to enjoy mon-fri too. ahh...

Jeff said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jeff said...

On behalf of those of us Monday-Friday workers, I say "Ben, shut the hell up"

Love,
Jeff

Megan said...

i've done the retail thing, and other jobs that require schedule very different from the 9-5 m-f one... until now. and i must say that i freakin love having nights and weekends off, and i think you're just jealous. or maybe i'm just lucky that i like my job so the five day work week isn't torture to be endured.