Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Forgetting to Remember

A lot of the Psalms talk about remembering the deeds that God has done. In fact, a couple of them consist entirely of a listing of God's movements in the lives of the Israelites. My particular favorite is Psalm 77:10-11: "Then I thought, 'To this I will appeal: the years of the right hand of the Most High.' I will remember the deeds of the Lord; yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago."

This act of remembrance falls through the cracks of my spiritual life quite often, and it seems to never get the credit that other aspects of our faith do. Prayer, scripture, and fellowship get network broadcasting while remembrance is relegated to AMC next to "Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers."

The recent postings on risk and sovereignty have forced me to look back at my life a little, and it amazes me how much I have forgotten or choose not to think about. The gaze towards the consequences of my risks and decisions, and the fact that they turned out ok, forces me to acknowledge God's work in my life. Herein lies the importance of remembrance.

Remembering what God has done leads me back to worship. Just as the listings in the Psalms always progress towards thanks and an acknowledgement of God's character, so too do the listings of God's work in my life lead me to realize just how big, awesome, loving, and relevant my God really is. Like the Psalmist, I am able to praise God for what he did in the Bible, but what a poignant gift it is to be able to praise God for revealing himself in my life. And these workings are present daily if I would only see them. Remembrance reminds me in a relevant, tangible way of God's character and of my need to worship him.

It also leads me into faith. One of my favorite requests in the Bible is when a father asks Jesus to help his unbelief. When I request this same thing from God, he often responds through my memory. When I have doubts as to whether God will care for my next step, as to whether he is really on my side, as to whether he even exists, to this I should appeal: the years of the right hand of the Most High. He has come through again and again, proving himself faithful as he says he is. Through risks, decisions, victories, and disasters, God has never abandoned me, regardless of what I thought in the moment. What great hope I would live in if I only chose to remember.

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

Thanks, Ben, for an encouraging post. I'm continually impressed at the depth a lot of your posts have.

In other news, I had to laugh out loud when I read the AMC part -- saw that showing of Halloween 4 too Tuesday night.