Thursday, October 05, 2006

What GCDC Does for Me

Sometimes I question my salvation because I'm a young Christian male and don't know how to play the guitar. It seems like everyone knows how. I have this recurring nightmare that at the pearly gates, St. Peter asks me to play a GCDC chord progression for admittance - and I have to just stand there like an idiot while everyone else parades in jamming out to "Lord, I Life Your Name on High."

Despite this complex (and admitted bitter jealousy), musical worship does something for me. While shelving today, I kept wondering why this is, given that worship doesn't need music. My life should be one big act of worship to God anyway.

Musical worship makes me stop. I have to either sit, stand, sing, or zone out. There aren't many options. Running an errand or crossing something off my to-do list is impossible. My Type A personality is stuck. Worship forces me to reflect and, in doing so, changes my worldview.

As I read and sing words of God's character and actions, I see the truth of these words in my own life. In a given life situation, I usually feel like I'm doing - and that I need to do more. Reflecting at a later time, I can see the invisible hands at work. Conversations coming out of nowhere. Work getting done despite my bad attitude. "Luck" covering up mistakes that I've made. Friendships enduring despite my indifference. Boss complimenting me even though I did nothing special that day. God continuously does so much for me, and I miss most of it, self-absorbed and self-congratulatiing.

In moments of reflection, I cannot take the credit. It would be a lie, and deep down, I know it. This is when the person of God and his promises to me become real. They aren't empty words. They aren't simply things I should know because I live in the South. They aren't an academic or theological course of study. God's grace and power become the reason for all of the events in my life, both that I do and that happen to me.

This moves me to awe, to thanks, to worship. In this moment of reflection, life must become all about God, as it should be and as it was meant to be.

GCDC, play on.

1 comment:

Em the luddite said...

I loved this post. I have had many of the same fears about being a bad Christian since I don't play the guitar. I think part of my strategy for answering St. Peter's requirement for admitance was to suggest that, though I couldn't wow him with a chord progression, I could hammer out "Twinkle Twinkle" on the hammered dulcimer, which was more than most could do. When it's not the guitar, the bar is substancially lowered (though the guitar is certainly holier). Maybe St. Peter would be feeling generous enough that day to let it slide.