Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Boulder Life

Odd Encounter of the Week: 5:15a.m.

One of the greatest challenges I have found in the post-collegiate life is how to avoid the monotonous predictability known as The Rut. Wake up. Breakfast. Work. TV. Dine. Sleep. Repeat. Unlike college which offers up a mine of extra-curricular gems from which to chose, the real world provides only a monolithic rock out of which one must chisel her/his life. The temptation exists every day to trudge home from work and veg. After all, it feels good. Plus, things like television, cat naps, dinner, fantasy basketball (Three cheers for Lamar Odom!), and couches can fill time rather well. In the end though, these gratuitous distractions merely leave me feeling sluggish and bored.

I have recently attempted my first carvings into this boulder of life, trying to craft some sort of excitement. Church shakes up my Sunday. Grey's A parties consume me Thursday. Trivia Night and its impressively lewd team names entertain me on Wednesday night. All of this is fun and gives my week some sort of variance. But what I really need is something exciting, something immature, something irresponsible. Like a 5 hour round-trip drive to the beach at 10p.m. Or streaking.

Last week, I got invited to join a group of middle-aged guys who play pick-up games of basketball at a local church starting at 5:15a.m. on Monday's and Friday's. What a great idea! Nothing goes on at 5:15a.m. No work, no Grey's A, no nothing. A little wildness, a little adventure, with no inconvenience. I'm so in!

Until I encountered 5:15a.m.

The first morning I got out of bed and got dressed. I then proceeded to stand in my dark room contemplating what I was doing. I tend to commit to things with intensity, so I knew if I went out that door, I was probably sentencing myself to pre-sun wake-up calls twice a week for the next 9 months. Pride wouldn't let me go once and not return. This is stupid, this is stupid, this is stupid, pounded in my head over and over. I thought about a step towards bed. Then I stopped thinking. And that is what one must do to do anything at 5:15a.m. Simply shut the brain off and move. I crossed the threshhold of my door, spurning the currents of the Rubicon. The dye was cast.

So twice a week now, I wake up way too early simply to feel young and irresponsible, which is ironic given that I am going to spend time with dudes in their 30's and 40's who have families and respectable jobs. They're a fun gang to play ball with though. They call archaic double dribbles, set picks with their elbows out, flatulate in the lane, argue about the score, acknowledge airballs with mockery, make fun of called touch fouls, and take the games too seriously. My kind of people.

The first morning I played, I had a headache by 10:00a.m., and it didn't relent all day. My body is starting to adjust, but it really doesn't matter. Sometimes we just need to do something for no reason, to just be stupid, as I reminded myself that first morning. It makes us feel alive. So here's hoping this Odd Encounter of the Week continues to become less and less odd.

5 comments:

Jenn Pappa said...

ohhh.... myyy... gossshhhh... i would never do that. Spontaniety to me means pampering or fun.. skipping work and going to the beach or the mtns. But hey, you do what you gotta do. More power to ya.

Matt G. said...

Do you guys use the new "no contact on the perimeter" rules? Standard NBA rules, or NCAA?

Are there T's for arguing foul calls?

Anonymous said...

Hi, i was looking over your blog and didn't
quite find what I was looking for. I'm looking for
different ways to earn money... I did find this though...
a place where you can make some nice extra cash secret shopping.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money

Anonymous said...

Hi, i was looking over your blog and didn't
quite find what I was looking for. I'm looking for
different ways to earn money... I did find this though...
a place where you can make some nice extra cash secret shopping.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money

Anonymous said...

Hi, i was looking over your blog and didn't
quite find what I was looking for. I'm looking for
different ways to earn money... I did find this though...
a place where you can make some nice extra cash secret shopping.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money