Thursday, May 03, 2007

Top 10 Favorite Rap Songs, Part 1

Don't ask me from whence this post came. I would have to respond like Mace in one of his songs when another rapper poses the question, "Why does Mace rap so slow?" He responds, "Don't ask me cuz I don't know." Mace gets me.

Perhaps this post emerges subconsciously from all the news talk concerning rap music after Don Imus inadvertantly brought it into the limelight. Perhaps it comes from seeing rap mogul (and here I thought this was a skiing term) Russell Simmons and his impressive arsenal of pastel sweaters promoting his new Oprah-approved book all over cable news this past week. Perhaps the free "Notorious B.I.G.'s Greatest Hits" cd I pulled from the Borders employee promotion box has brought the rap world into my conscious.

I have no definitive answer why these thoughts came to me at work yesterday. So don't ask me cuz I don't know.

Without further ado, Redeeming Prufrock presents Ben's Top 10 Favorite Rap Songs (Ed.'s note: song titles have been edited for the sake of human decency):

10. "Changes," Tupac: In actuality, I do not care much for this song. But everyone else does. I have never heard a person say they do not like it and many roll their eyes into the back of their heads when describing its awesomeness. Given that I love country music and my current favorite song is titled "Hey Hey, You You," I have to put this song on the list to earn any semblance of credibility.

My Top 10 must start here.

9. "No Diggity," Blackstreet featuring Dr. Dre: Any song that can instill a new word into the English language without anyone actually knowing what it means (what is "diggity"?), or, more aptly, what having none of it means, makes the list. Especially if that word becomes a staple on "Sportscenter." Stuart Scott loves the way homerun hitters work it. No diggity.

This Top 10 needs a lack of this crazy little thing called "diggity." I think. So Blackstreet checks in at #9.

8. "Ain't No Fun," Snoop Dogg: Potentially the filthiest song ever written. I remember listening to this with my friend right after he got his driver's license. We were cool, let me tell you, driving to Beta Club service projects at the hospital listening to Snoop.

The song really is disgusting, but back then, disgusting was hilarious. Actually, it still is today but in a much more refined sense, of course. The fact that one needs to express this kind of thing artistically confounds me to no end and makes me chuckle. How can a self-respecting person produce stuff like this?

A lot of that is fluff though. Basically, I'm still immature enough to giggle at it.

Regardless, a Top 10 ain't no fun if the homies can't have some. . . old school Snoop.

7. "Ride Wit Me," Nelly: Not much to say about this one; the song is just cool. It somehow comes across as smooth while providing a beat to bounce to.

A classic still occassionally heard on the radio today, Nelly rides with me at #7.

6. "Baby, I Got Yo' Money," Ol' Dirty Bastard: A well thought, theological song that proclaims the eternal Truth: "God made dirt and dirt bust yo' ass."

As an icebreaker, someone once asked my friend Jeff who he would want to greet him at the pearly gates and what would that person say. His response:

"Ol' Dirty Bastard, saying something utterly incomprehensible."

That sounds about right. If he's good enough for Jeff's pearly gates, he's good enough for my Top 10.

The song peaks when ODB goes falsetto to claim, "If Dirty wants his money, I think y'all better give him his money." A spot at #6 will have to suffice.

10 comments:

Jeff said...

I hate you for posting this because I will now spend an absurd amount of time pondering my Top 10.

However, here are some quick ones that I know I'd think of...
"Rapper's Delight" Sugar Hill Gang
"Juicy" Notorious BIG
"Shimmy Shimmy Ya" Ol' Dirty
"Shame on a..." Wu Tang Clan
"Hypnotize" Notorious BIG
"Can't Knock The Hustle" Jay-Z

I'll give you my Top 10 later. Nice start

Chris Pappa said...

"Lose Yourself" Eminem

?

Jenn Pappa said...

will you make me a CD?

thanks.

Jeff said...

Two things I should have mentioned...

1) Ma$e, not Mace....mace = pepper spray

2) That Russell Simmons book makes me nauseous. It falls in line with "The Secret". We certainly have the power to make good choices and do the right things, but these books are different. It's something more sinister and a total exclusion of God. Stupid.

Ben said...

Jeff,

Simmons was on Chris Matthews last week and claims that "all the Scriptures run parallel" concerning what he writes in his book.

Ugh.

And yes, it certainly sounds right up The Secret's alley in thesis and Orpah-approval. She even came up with the title for his book.

Oh, and thanks for the correction on Ma$e. I should do my research better.

Brian said...

I want a dollar sign in my name.

Anonymous said...

quite interesting read. I would love to follow you on twitter.

Anonymous said...

It is useful to try everything in practise anyway and I like that here it's always possible to find something new. :)

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now. Keep it up!
And according to this article, I totally agree with your opinion, but only this time! :)

Anonymous said...

It is useful to try everything in practice anyway and I like that here it's always possible to find something new. :)