Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Worthy to Suffer

At the end of a fundraising training session tonight, the leaders asked everyone to stand whose parents did not support their decision to go on staff with InterVarsity. Slowly, over half of the room of 130 rose to their feet. As we laid on hands and the folks from the front prayed, many people cried. They did not sniffle. They wept.

It was, and still is, heart-breaking.

The scene really humbled me because I believe these people, like Job, have been found worthy to suffer for the sake of the Gospel. Granted, we all have our crosses to bear, but some seem heavier than others.

At some point down the road, I may rue tonight, but I pray that one day I will be found worthy to suffer for the sake of Jesus Christ like my brothers and sisters who stood tonight.

4 comments:

Brad said...

Hell yes, Humphries! We studied the very passage in Philippians tonight where Paul talks about desiring to suffer like Christ at an IV-sponsored grad student Bible study tonight, AND we prayed for you!

Isn't God good?!? He knew...

Anonymous said...

Hi, Nice stuff. I found a cool news widget for our blogs at www.widgetmate.com. Now I can show the latest news on my blog. Worked like a breeze.

Ben said...

That's crazy, Brad. Crazy awesome. He continues to do things I wouldn't have believed if he told me beforehand.

Thanks for sharing. We need to hear of "coincidences" ;) like this more often. He indeed knew. . . .

Also, I think the second comment is hilarious, given the seriousness of this post. I'm going to leave it there just for a good laugh if I need one today. "Hi, Nice stuff. . . ." What a joke.

Alex said...

ben,

just got to your blog after a break, great to hear your posts from madison! warm it up for me, i'll be there one week from today!

eat some cheese curds for me...